When I first worked out my little quirky leaf motif I knew I had to make a leafy crown out of it at some point – I just couldn’t find the right yarn at the hobby stores. I wanted it to be delicate and pretty, not bulky, but the yarns I tested didn’t fit the bill.
And then the very obvious solution hit me – use THREAD, not yarn, holding two strands together to make it bigger. Yay! So without further yammering, here’s the FREE crochet pattern for this fun leafy DIY floral crown.
Update 1/25/19: This pattern has now been linked in the Ravelry pattern database! Be sure to give it a favorite if you like it 🙂
Ivy Crown Crochet Pattern
#10 cotton crochet thread – You will need 2 cones of either the same or coordinating colors, because the pattern is worked with the 2 threads held together.
For a full photo tutorial on how to make the quirky crochet leaf, see this blog post.
- Grab both strands of cotton thread and form a slipknot.
- Ch 12.
- In the 3rd ch from the hook, work 4 dc.
- Work a ch-2 length picot in the top of the last dc.
- 3 hdc in the same st as the first 4 dc sts.
- Rotate the leaf – work 2 hdc in the same stitch but on the other side of the beginning chain (This is the quirky part – see the photo tutorial for help)
- Sl st in the 2nd ch of beg ch-2 on the leaf.
- Sl st into the 2nd ch st from the motif on your original chain, anchoring the back of your leaf.
- Repeat from Step 2 – you can vary the spacing of the leaves by adding or subtracting chain stitches in between, as long as you have a minimum of 5 ch sts. I like to randomize the chain length at anywhere between 8-12 stitches between leaves for a subtle organic look.
I repeated 44 times, for a total of 45 leaves or 55″ in length, and made three in different colors!
These leafy li’l guys have tons of potential:
- twist or braid several together to create even fuller floral crowns (as seen pictured on my head)
- add beads, charms, or little crocheted flowers
- make shorter versions to create a choker necklace or double up the long version to make a lariat-style necklace. Like this!
I’ve got a respectable amount of crochet thread hanging around currently so I know I’ll be making more of these garlands!