Refashionistas… we’ve all seen it. That tutorial about how cutting the crotch out of your old tights makes a killer long-sleeve crop top. But does this really work? It can’t be that easy, can it?
Well, as (shamelessly) mentioned before here, I am ever in search of ways to not wear a bra – which is easy if you are of a certain body type which does not happen to be my body type. For me, not wearing a bra can sometimes be as uncomfortable as wearing one. So the opportunity to both comfortably skip the bra and force my summer clothes into double-duty as winter clothes could not be passed up.
Plus it trains me for future opportunities in creating bellydance costumes out of Goodwill finds.
I have my victim lined up – an awesome print on a warm knit pair of tights that are just slightly too small to function as they were originally intended.
And of course I have my idea, which came from this youtube video I found on Pinterest. The creator of the video uses sheer nylon type tights, but the idea is the same, no?
Yes and no. We’ll get to that.
FIRST you cut out the crotch. I went with a wide V-neck type of neckline, but you could pretty much do anything here as long as your head fits through.
Then you STICK YOUR HEAD THROUGH THE HOLE. I think maybe your arms go down the legs too.
Are we done? Is it that easy? Kind of. This very much works as a finishing point, especially if you are working with tights that have a lot more elasticity. But mine were too saggy in the arms, with too much bunching of the material under the armpits. But the boob-holding department was on point (ha)!
So I used the very advanced and technical sewing equipment known as a plate and a Sharpie to fix the arm problem.
Measuring about 7 inches from the bottom of the top (that is the waistband of the leggings), I used a plate to evenly mark out a dip in the fabric for the armpit.
And then measured a short straight line from the crest of the plate marking toward the waistband, to taper the otherwise sudden change in the cut of the garment. I also measured off a long tapering line from the other side of the crescent all the way down to the cuff of the sleeve/leg to slim down the fit of the arm. I did this for both arms, of course.
I pinned it and sewed it all up with a zigzag stitch BEFORE cutting the extra fabric, just in case I was unhappy with the result. I wasn’t!
Hooray! I had successfully eliminated most of that saggage. I proceeded to cut off the extra fabric and finish all the edges with an overcasting stitch (I don’t own a serger, but my Brother HS-2000 does a decent job sewing knits on “08” stitch setting. Time for the fashion show!